Applying to join the Brisbane Gang Show cast can be very daunting to a new applicant and even more as nerve wracking for a returning cast member who wants to demonstrate their improved skills between seasons. Below is some information about our audition process.
When: Auditions are conducted in November of each year, to recruit cast members for the following years season.
Location: Auditions are conducted at the Queensland Scout Centre, 32 Dixon Street, Auchenflower.
1. On arrival you and your parent or guardian (if under 18) will complete our paperwork process first.
2. You will then move to speak with previous year Cast Representatives or a Program Team Leader whilst your parent or guardian will wait with other support leaders from the Gang.
3. Whilst with our Cast Representatives/Program Team Leader you will receive a script for a short acting piece, in order to prepare for your individual audition (excluding Cub Scouts).
4. Those auditioning for the first time may also have your photo taken.
5. Next you will rehearse a few dance movements with our Choreography Team, where you will demonstrate your basic dancing and understanding choreography capability.
6. You will then proceed to wait outside the individual audition room for your personal audition to take place which includes singing, acting and talking with the Production Director.
Audition Criteria: Applicants are scored on an equitable points system related to talent, grooming, uniform, attitude and service to the Gang or for new applicants service to their Movement.
In summary, at auditions, applicants must:
– Be accompanied by a Parent or Guardian (if under 18),
– Wear full correct Scout or Guide uniform,
– Dance a short routine as part of a group,
– Act out a few lines of a sketch provided at the audition (excluding Cub Scouts),
– Sing a song (or part thereof), and
– Discuss being in the Gang with the Production Director.
Song Choice and Process for Singing:
You may sing any song of your choice. For the 2020 auditions (conducted in November 2019) we are for the first time asking every applicant to sing to a backing track. This is to be a karaoke track and can be supplied or a link provided from YouTube. Most popular songs have karaoke versions on YouTube.
The important part about this is that you MUST choose your song prior to attending auditions and you should practice it at home to your chosen song. Just like all the major TV singing shows – song choice and practice is vitally important to a successful audition.
Our Pianist will be present and depending on your song choice may ask you to perform ‘scales’ to determine your singing range.
PLEASE COME PREPARED so as not to be disappointed and also – please note that nearly all applicants do not sing the entire song – we usually cut off everyone after a verse and chorus if we have heard enough to determine singing capability.
Timing: The entire audition process may take up to approximately 1.5 hours in your time slot.
Note to Parents or Guardians: It is important that we have the opportunity to speak with parents of all new Gang Show cast applicants who are under 18 years of age. We will do this whilst your youth are going through the audition process. Family members will not be able to witness the individual audition process.
Please make sure you have reviewed the 2019/20 Diaries (Full Gang or Cub Scouts) and Cast Information available on this website to be sure you know what you are committing to! These will also be available at the audition for review.
If you have any questions – please do not hesitate to contact our Production Director – Trevor O’Hara via the contact us form of this website.
We look forward to seeing you in November.
NOTE: With record numbers of youth members applying to be in the Cast – the Brisbane Gang Show may not accept every applicant or may alter the set up of the Gang (eg. more split cast arrangements where not every member performs in every show, like the Cub Scout cast members have done for the last five years). More information about this possibility will be available at auditions.
Brisbane Gang Show